Cost of EPS Panels in Kenya
What is EPS Panel in building and construction business?
EPS Panel (Expanded Polystyrene Panel) is an extremely lightweight product that is made of expanded polystyrene beads. Originally discovered by Eduard Simon in 1839 in Germany by accident, EPS foam is more than 95% air and only about 5% plastic
EPS or Styrofoam as people call it, is a type of polystyrene, it is produced from polystyrene beads, which when expanded and molded under controlled conditions form a light weight block.
Uses of Expanded Polystyrene EPS
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is inert in nature and therefore does not result in any chemical reactions.
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is closed cell, so when used as a core material it will absorb little water and in return, not promote mold or rotting.
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is durable, strong as well as lightweight and can be used as insulated panel systems for facades, walls, roofs and floors in buildings
- It can be used as flotation material in the construction of marinas and pontoons and as a lightweight fill in road and railway construction.
- EPS has shock absorbing properties making it ideal for storing and transporting fragile items such as wines, chemicals, electronic equipment, and pharmaceutical products.
- Its thermal insulation and moisture resistant properties are perfect for packaging cooked food as well as perishable items such as seafood, fruit, and vegetables.
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) can be used in the manufacture of sliders, model planes, and even surfboards because of its positive strength to weight ratio.
- The strength of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) along with its shock absorbing properties makes it effective for use in children’s seats and cycling helmets.
- It is also compression resistant, meaning that EPS is ideal for stacking packaging goods.
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) also has applications in horticulture in seedling trays to promote aeration of the soil.
What is the cost of EPS panel building material in Kenya?
The cost of EPS panel varies based on panel thickness. For instance, at Gypsum Ceiling Supplies, we are the largest distributor of EPS panels in Kenya. For instance;
- EPS Wall Panels: This are expanded polystyrene panels with high tensile steel wire mesh on both sides suitable external and internal walls. The panels are supplied in the dimensions of 3mx1.2m and thicknesses ranging from 60mm, 80mm and 100mm
- EPS Floor Panels: This are expanded polystyrene panels with high tensile steel wire mesh on both sides suitable for floors. The panels are supplied in the dimensions of 3mx1.2m and thicknesses of 150mm, 190/200mm, 260mm, 290mm or as required/specified by the Client.
- EPS Styrofoam Sheets: This are EPS panels without galvanized wire mesh suitable for thermal insulation, soundproofing, cold rooms, packaging and many more. The sheets are supplied in the dimensions of 1.2m*1.2m and thicknesses of 0.5 inch, 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch
Benefits of EPS Panels – Other Uses
EPS is widely used in many everyday building and construction situations where its light weight, strength and thermal insulation characteristics provide cost-effective high-performance solutions.
- EPS is also well proven in civil engineering applications where its inherent strength means it can support structures such as roadways and railways with complete ease.
- Light Weight: EPS is an extremely lightweight material which is not surprising considering it is comprised of ~98% air. This characteristic makes it ideal for use in packaging as it does not significantly add to the weight of the total product thereby reducing transportation costs.
- Durability: The exceptional durability of EPS makes it an effective and reliable protective packaging for a wide range of goods.
- Moisture Resistance: EPS is a closed cell material and does not readily absorb water. There is no loss of strength in damp conditions, making EPS ideal for cool-chain products.
- Thermal Efficiency: The superior thermal efficiency of EPS makes it ideal for packaging any product that is sensitive to temperature change. Products enclosed in EPS containers can be maintained for long periods at temperature above or below ambient conditions and can be protected from sudden temperature changes that can occur in the transport through different climatic zones.
- Shock Absorption: EPS exhibits excellent shock absorbing characteristics making it the first choice for packaging of a wide range of products including appliances, electronic products, computers and chemicals.
- Versatility: EPS can be manufactured to almost any shape or size, or it can be easily cut and shaped when required to suit any application. EPS is also produced in a wide range of densities providing a varying range of physical properties. These are matched to the various applications where the material is used to optimize its performance.
- Ease of Use: For building and construction applications, EPS is considered to be one of the easiest materials to install on site. It is normally supplied in sheet form however can also be moulded into shapes or in large blocks